The new Board of Directors of the ISSLR for the next three years (2022-2024) was elected with Egor Zadereev as the President, Mianping Zheng as the Vice-president, Wayne Wurtsbaugh as the Secretary/Treasurer, Tianlong Deng as the Editor, Elena Anufriieva as the young scientists representative and Faith Coleman, Bindy Datson, Zsofia Horvath, Peter Hudson, Katia Hueso and Lichun Ma as the Members-at-Large.
As it is mentioned in the President’s message the goal of the society is first to keep successful practices such as organization of regular conferences, prizes for young scientists (best paper awards and Bill Williams awards). Second, the society needs to attract more scientists. To do this activities should combine interests of the society with personal interests/carrier goals of members. It is expected that in the next three years the society will focus on:
- Creating of working groups (depending on interests, e.g. geology group, soda lakes group, ecosystem services group) which will give an opportunity for many members to be involved in activities of the society
- Collaborative projects among members but also inviting any interested scientists. Collaborative project, which will result in good research and papers, is the best stimulus to join the society.
- Online course/series of webinars. As we are still live in the COVID-19 conditions, online activities can be an efficient and relatively cheap way to broaden our international reputation as a society of experts in saline lakes and related areas.
- Active participation in International programs (UN, EU, UNEP, IPBES, etc.) and projects related not only to studies of saline lakes but also conservation and management (including NGO participation).
- SMM strategy to make our social networks more coherent and visible.
More details on the future plans will be available later, after the first on-line meeting of the new Board will be held in January-February.