To assist with the objectives and purposes of the International Society for Salt Lake Research the Board of Directors decided to announce a call for creation of thematic groups. Thematic groups are a very successful instrument of coordination and mobilization of scientific, educational or conservation activities. There are examples of world wide known thematic groups (e.g. Plankton Ecology Group) in other international scientific societies. The Board of Directors of the ISSLR believe that thematic groups will open new and wide opportunities for members of the society to cooperate, establish new contacts, and promote scientific careers.
Please find below the general principles of the creation and functioning of the thematic groups of the ISSLR.
If you are interested in the creation of the thematic group please contact the Secretary of the Society Wayne Wurtsbaugh.
- Thematic groups (committees) of the International Society for Salt Lake Research (ISSLR) in accordance with Article 4 Section 2 of Bylaws can be established by the Board of Directors of the ISSLR to assist with the objectives and purposes of the society specified by the Bylaws of the ISSLR.
- The thematic group can be established either on geographical (e.g. national or regional group) or thematic (e.g. subfield of science group) basis.
- To establish the thematic group not less than 5 members of the ISSLR should express interest in joining such a group.
- Each group should have a designated person who is named the Chairperson of the group.
- Any member of ISSLR can propose a Group to be created. The proposal should identify the name of the group, the name of the proposed Chairperson, conformity of the group with objectives and purposes of the society, the proposed plan of activities of the group that will strengthen the influence and visibility of the ISSLR.
- If such a proposal is provided by 5 or more members of the ISSLR, the Board of Directors will consider the proposal and decide on the establishment of the group.
- If such a proposal is provided by less than 5 members of the ISSLR, the Board of Directors consider this proposal and announce among ISSLR members the possibility of joining this group. As soon as at least 5 members of the ISSLR are willing to join this group, the group can be approved and established by the Board of Directors.
- Any member of the ISSLR can join a group already in existence. Non-members of the ISSLR can join the group when he/she has paid the membership fee and become an ISSLR member.
- Thematic group can use the social media and webpage of the ISSLR to promote its own visibility and to coordinate its activities. Also, the thematic group can organize separate meetings and other activities that are in conformance with the objectives and purposes of the society specified by bylaws.
- All public activities of the group separate from the main ISSLR should be clearly labeled as activities of that group, and that the group is associated with the ISSLR.
- The group can decide whether to appoint a Secretary of the group from its members. Otherwise, the Chairperson of the group keeps all records of group meetings, group annual plans and reports, and other documents related to the group.
- The majority of members of the group should approve any public action of the group.
- Each group should provide a brief annual report to the Board of Directors.
- Only the Board of Directors of the ISSLR can change the title and status of the group.
- The Board of Directors can abolish the group either after the request of the Chairperson supported by the majority of the group members, or after the request of majority of Board of Directors.